25 June, 2017

Since the Victorians

The oldest reference found so far to ownership is that of Sir Robert Constable of North Cliffe, (died 22.11.1501).  He held land at North Cliffe, Sledmere, Newsham and Broughton. Sir Robert was a Sergeant-at-Law.   See http://freespace.virgin.net/owston.tj/consnc.htm

His son Marmaduke Constable of North Cliffe married Elizabeth. When widowed in 1526, as one of the executors, she let “Prior William, Broughton Manor with lands there and in Swinton late in the holding of Robert Baker late of Malton, for 7 years at £7.8.8 a year.”  Ancestors were also connected with Swinton.

19th Century

Kelly’s Trade Directory  gives some idea of who was living in the parish in the 19th and 20th Centuries.

The 1857 edition describes Appleton Le Street as being a township and village consisting of the townships of Amotherby, Broughton, Hildenley, Swinton, and the hamlet of Easthorpe, in the Ryedale wapentake (administrative division), Malton union, North Riding of the County, Bulmer Deanery, Cleveland archdeaconry and York archbishopric.

An assumption has to be that copies held by a Broughton resident are only part of the full record. It may also be only changes are recorded. They are also several years apart (based on the Census?) so it is impossible to correctly date when people arrive. I have listed below only those whose names appear on the list either for the first time, or with a different description.

Thomas Isherwood, a J.P of Springfield House, Heywood, Lancashire, is lord of the manor in 1857.  His name has gone from the records by 1905.  A Liberal councillor of this name was elected the first mayor in 1881 of the Borough of Heywood, a Lancashire cotton town. He was a mill owner and a member of the New Church.   Heywood Library has a 12 page obituary on Thomas Isherwood.  They confirm the chronology of his life states that in the 1850s he started a Cotton Waste business in Heywood.  He then went on to become a clogger, superintendent of a Sunday school, chairman of the Bury Board of Guardians, a cotton spinner, a councillor and county magistrate.  Unfortunately they cannot find any record of Thomas Isherwood owning land in Broughton but it may still be one and the same person. Anyone wanting to find out more via a link to Rochdale Local Studies which includes the service provided at Heywood and Middleton libraries: http://www.link4life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=c.showPage&pageID=89.  Use the search facility to find further information.

Other principal landowners in 1857 were George Wright, farmer and freeholder of Broughton Villa (now named Broughton House);  Thomas Walker, J.P of The Woodlands, Doncaster;  John Williamson, Walter Strickland who was also a chief landowner in Swinton, and Thomas Etty.  There were two John Wilsons, each of them farmers and Mrs Rebecca Key a farmer and freeholder.  Other farmers were Clifford Pindar and Robert Thompson.

The Malton Messenger August 1861 records the marriage of a George Wright, farmer, born 1828 of Broughton Villa to Elizabeth Borton 1838-1912 who was known as Lily.

“On the 15th inst., at Barton-le-Street, by the Rev. Henry BORTON, M.A., uncle of the bride, assisted by the Rev. Wm. CARTER, rector of Slingsby, Geo. WRIGHT, Esq., of Broughton Villa, to Elizabeth, second daughter of John BORTON, Esq., of Barton House.”

They had six daughters.

Walter Strickland – was he the son of Sir Charles William Strickland, 8th Baronet (6.2.1819-31.12.1909) who was born at Hildenley?  Sir Charles was the eldest son of Sir George Strickland, 7th Baronet, of Boynton who was born at Welburn, Kirkbymoorside. Both Sir Charles and Sir George were barristers and keen rowers. Walter would go on to become Sir Walter Strickland, 9th Baronet (26.05.1851- 09.08.1938). He became a Czechoslovakian citizen and did not use his title. He married Eliza Vokes in 1888 but died without issue. He was succeeded by a cousin after which baronets used the surname Strickland-Constable. See http://www.fylingcourtleet.org/historySC.php.

By 1872 only three chief landowners are recorded – Thomas Isherwood, still lord of the manor, and Thomas Walker and George Wright.  Other changes are John Key farming Musley Bank;  John Hutchinson appears as a market gardener;  Robert Lickes is a pig dealer;  John Rutter farms Hazel House; Job Wilson is a shoe maker;  Francis Woodward a stonemason;  with farmers Reginald Cadman, Mark Clifford Pindar and William Wilson.

By 1879  John Peirson farms Hazel House (later known as Hessle House).

In 1889  there are still the same chief landowners except it is a Mrs Elizabeth Wright. Other changes are two new farmers, William Crow and William Duggleby.

By 1890  Thomas Walker is shown as being of Malton.

1897  sees further changes with Mrs Wright now shown as living at Broughton Villa, George and Alfred Cundill now at Hazel House, Herbet Tindall as the market gardener and new farmers William Blackburn and John Herbert Greenwood.

20th Century

1905  shows new chief landowners as being Thomas Williams of Scarborough, R. B Hopkins of Leeds.  Mrs Elizabeth Wright is still shown as being at Broughton Villa.  New farmers are Joseph Minton and John William Studley Potter.

1913  shows the main landowners as being the trustees of the late Mr John Potter and the late Mrs Elizabeth Wright who was recorded at Broughton Villa;  John William Studley Potter is shown of Hessle House (previously called Hazel House) as well as Oak Farm.  Other changes since 1897  are Charles Minton a carter and Amos Cass, farmer.

1933  shows the same main landowners and introduces the Lund family as well as Mrs Edmonds and her sons as farmers as was Chas Minton, Charles Monkman, Thomas Wiley and Arthur Ford as a tailor.

1937  shows the same chief landowners with a Walter Blanchard at Gayle house;  Arthur Edward Bigg a haulage contractor;  Ruth Davison a shopkeeper; Mr Coleman Jn a smallholder; Mrs Rose L Edmonds farmer of Woodhouse Farm; Wilfred Paulin livestock carrier;  Guy Raines farmer Oak Farm. Chas Minton is now shown as being at Home (sic) Farm.

To see a scan of the photocopies of the pages from which the above was taken please click here.

AGW 2011

Speak Your Mind

*