23 November, 2017

Piercys

Jonathan with his wedding cake tree.

Connection with Broughton dating from 1905

Jonathan’s connections with Broughton go back to 1905 when his Great Grandparents Mr & Mrs R. Edward Hardisty were living in the village. They came to Broughton from Langton. What brought them to Broughton ?  Where were they living ? We understand that a son James was born here.
An aunt recalls knocking a man off his bike near Hill Top just before the war. Her father paid for a new bike and no more was said of the incident.
In the 1950s, Jonathan’s Grandfather Gordon Piercy was living in Amotherby.  He had business dealings with Mr Joe Bigg who lived in the house that stood on the site where we now live. Park House was originally known as Fairview House and was built by Mr Watkinson as was Fairview next door.
Jonathan and Claire (Thompson) were married at St Augustine’s Shared Church, Skirlaugh on 29th April 2000 and moved to Broughton from  Slingsby in August 2003.
Jonathan has worked in horticulture for over twenty years.  He is one of the professional gardeners contributing to the Broughton Parish website.
He is also organist at Norton Bethel Methodist Church and is a Circuit Steward  for the Malton Methodist Circuit. This involves overseeing Methodist Church properties within the local area.
Claire studied languages and was involved with exports to the Far East until the outbreak of Foot and Mouth. She still works part time in Sales at the Bacon Factory.
Our daughter Kate was born on 5th October 2008. She is enjoying getting to know our neighbours!
Jonathan and Claire Piercy

Speak Your Mind

*